Monday 17 October 2011

The Simple Act of Kindness

Sometimes, in life, we are sucked into the rat race and materialistic pursuits that we fail to appreciate the simple beauty of life. Having a child has completely altered my life. I believe I am here to be a mother and everyday is a challenge if you are trying to be a good one.

Last night, while Hubs and I were hanging out with some close friends, we watched a news clip on an accident that occurred in Guangdong, China on 13th October 2011.

It was a CCTV recording of a 2 year old girl walking down the street unsupervised and she was ran over by a van. The driver seemed to have realised his mistake as he drove his back wheel  over the little girl very slowly and drove off. Minutes later, another small truck ran over the little girl!!

That's not the most harrowing part of the story, not less than 10 people walked past the little girl who was lying on the ground covered in blood, including a lady who was holding another little girl's hand (A mother?)
After 10 minutes, a garbage collector finally came to girl's aid (Rather unfortunate too as the garbage collector moved the little girl and probably caused more spine damage but she did save the little girl from another oncoming truck).

You have to watch the heartless video. It really breaks your heart.

As a parent, if that little girl was my daughter, I will NEVER be able to forgive myself. So, instead of sulking away in my cloud of disbelieve and disappointment, I'll be kinder to my own child and make each day count.
Hopefully, I raise him as a person with dignity and kindness in his heart. It really takes a village to raise a child.

If you blog or have a child, join me at I Can Teach My Child and share your 30 days of intentional kindness. It may not change the world but at times like this, every little bit counts.

I Can Teach My Childacts of kindness button

Here is a CNN report on the news.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...