Monday 14 November 2011

Is Tiger Ready To Be Potty-trained?

The idea that Tiger may be potty-trained early by 18 months is extremely appealing.

I will get to save A LOT of money on disposable diapers. I kid you not...

He is using Mamypoko. I did the math and this is the breakdown:

Without sales: RM 54.90 for 56 pieces (RM 0.98 per piece)
On sales       : RM 42.90 (RM0.80)

If he uses about about 4 to 5 pieces a day, in a month he would burn about RM 120 to RM 147.
In a year: it would be RM 1764.

*His formula milk (Enfagrow) cost about RM: 288 per month (3 large tins)
In a year, it would be RM 3456!!

Total: RM 5220  $$$$$$ Keeeerchiiiing!!!  $$$$$$!!!!
If you have 2 toddlers= RM 10440 
Three = RM 15660...huuhuu (some kids are diaper-free by 3 or 4)

So, dear hubs, how many kids do you want again?

If I am a SAHM, trust me, I will rather wash napkins than see my money go down the drain..
It's not like I have not tried cheaper diapers like the Pet Pet brand but the rascal's royal butt didn't like it...huuuhuu
I've also tried cheaper formula like Snow Brand but the rascal threw up all his milk...double huuhuu

Since grandma thinks he's ready, I took out his cute Fisher price potty last week. How many times do you think he has used it?

ZERO!! Hah! I didn't think he was ready.

So, I found a checklist on Babycenter that I will use: Potty-training Readiness

These are my observations:
Highlighted in red: Not even close
Highlighted in blue: Definitely
Highlighted in green: I have no idea

Physical signs

Is coordinated enough to walk, and even run, steadily.

Urinates a fair amount at one time.

Has "dry" periods of at least three or four hours, which shows that his bladder muscles are developed enough to hold urine.

Has regular, well-formed bowel movements at relatively predictable times.
Bah! This just happened today morning right after he woke up.
I thought he was playing peek-a-boo with me
As it turned out, he was taking a dump!
Wahahahaha!!!


Behavioral signs

Can sit down quietly in one position for two to five minutes.

Can pull his pants up and down.

Dislikes the feeling of wearing a wet or dirty diaper. Hates diaper changing time.

Shows interest in others' bathroom habits (wants to watch you go to the bathroom or wear underwear).

Gives a physical or verbal sign when he's having a bowel movement such as grunting, squatting, or telling you.

Walked towards Mommy and continued pooping!!
I think he was worried I wouldn't smell it from a distance,
I SMELLED it alright!!!

Demonstrates a desire for independence.

Takes pride in his accomplishments.

Isn't resistant to learning to use the toilet.

Is in a generally cooperative stage, not a negative or contrary one. The monkey throw diapers at me and then run off to hide after he has pooped!! LOL

Cognitive signs

Can follow simple instructions, such as "go get the toy."

Understands the value of putting things where they belong.
Has words for urine and stool.

Understands the physical signals that mean he has to go and can tell you before it happens or even hold it until he has time to get to the potty.


Conclusion:
I counted 8 blues, 5 reds, and 3 greens. If I pretend the greens are reds, there would be 8 of both...hmmmm..I guess that would mean he ain't ready yet.

I guess the potty will continue to be a hat for now...



6 comments:

Jasmine said...

Jess, I should be posting something up on Julian's successful potty training at 18 months soon... take a look and see if little Tiger's ready...:)

Jessica said...

Hi Jasmine,

Ok, will do. Don't think I'll be able to 'train' him to do anything but I shall hope :)

Ali said...

Nikki can't pull his pants up, and hates having his nappy taken off, though i think it is the process he hates as he prefers to be without.

You can start now with conditioning him where to go (potty!) and showing him how using dolls/watching you. If you feel brave, leave him bare bottomed and give it a go - if he doesn't take to it, come back to it in a few weeks.

Rachael said...

The way you write is hilarious, I'll definitely be following :)
Rachael

melissa said...

Ha! I love your descriptions of Tiger's readiness. You probably know this already, but I don't think ideas of traditional "readiness signs" give children nearly enough credit. I'm sure you'll follow Tiger on this one just as you do with everything else. On the diaper subject, have you seen hybrid systems like GDiapers or Grovia with biodegradable/flushable inserts? The outer is washable, but only needs to be laundered periodically - the liner picks up the mess and you can flush or toss it. Less to wash than full on cloth and less waste than traditional disposables. Of course you still have to do what works for your family - I'm already amazed by what you accomplish as a working mama!

Jessica said...

HI Melissa,

I have seen Grovia in Malaysia. Hmmm, I think I will check it out. As long as my MIL is OK, I am all go.

Tiger's definitely NOT ready yet. His potty is multitasking as a shopping cart, a storage for his knick knacks and a chair :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...