Friday 18 October 2013

Preschool Guide to Math


Warning: A lot of links on this post but definitely worthy of your time.
So, don't be lazy, go read.

<<< >>>


 I heard Tiger singing the other day,
One plus one is two
Two plus one is three
......
(from Shichida song)

Correct, but when I ask him,
"If mama give you 1 sweet and papa give you one more,
how many sweets do you have?"
Three
=.="
Confirmed. Not math genius.

Since I am not trained to be teacher, I have to ask Google.
First, must back up my teaching with science.
This article is useful

I was looking for a guide on preschool math when I found some I like:

1. Life of Fred (books)
2. Greg Tang (books)

At the end of the day, what I want to achieve is
still the same: LOVE OF LEARNING
CURIOSITY
CREATIVITY

What should your child learn in preschool math?
 Even if they didn't learn a single thing by end of preschool, at least make sure they
have some number sense

If you are happy that your 4 or 5 year old can recite
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
and trace those numbers on countless worksheets
you are in deep shit.
I know kids in our system who recites blindly from A-Z.
But when you show D individually, you get a ??????

Bottom line is,
they must understand that numbers represent a set of things.
Like how words represent an emotion.
Otherwise, you are wasting your money.

Just like
how kindy waste one month preparing for concert
by making children conform to a routine in a monkey suit. 
Monkey suit also you must fork out own money.
Kolian.
Just that alone turns me off.
No, thank you, I'd rather spend that money watching paint dry.

 My advise: PLAY
but not just plain play, SNEAKY PLAY

At this age, they must be able to touch and feel math.
Use anything you can manipulate.

 For more ideas, you can refer to Karen Cox's prekinders
Choose a guide that you are comfortable with and stick with that!

Generally,
PRESCHOOL SCOPE
  • Numbers & Counting
  • Grid Games
  • Matching
  • Shapes & Geometry
  • Pattern Block Mats
  • Sorting
  • Patterns
  • Sizes
  • More, Less, Same
  • Estimation
  • Money
KINDERGARTEN SCOPE
  • Count to ten
  • Count a set of five objects using one-to-one correspondence
  • Identify the numerals 1-5
  • Compare sets of objects and describe them using “more,” “less,” “equal,” or same
  • Use correct vocabulary to compare objects (“big,” “small”; “long,” “short”; “more,” “less”; “heavy,” “light”)
  • Use words that identify time of day (“morning,” “afternoon,” “night,” “day”)
  • Identify circles, squares, rectangles, and triangles when shown models
  • Sort objects by their attributes (color, size, shape, and so on)
  • Use words that indicate position (“in,” “out,” “beside,” “over,” “under,” “between”)
  • Recognize and copy patterns in songs, rhymes, and body movements
Tiger loves worksheets too but I try not to do too many.
He is kinda btw a preschooler and kindergartener's level at the moment.
So, too simple a task...BORING!
To difficult and he becomes frustrated. Like writing numbers, etc

Solution?
I try to challenge him creatively by asking him to create games of his own.

Here's what we did last night.
 Prop: Skeletons (RM 5.90 from Memory Lane)

Matching with pipe cleaners (Daiso)
It was Tiger's idea to make a cross.

More complicated matching.
He was to match with the pipe cleaners.
Problem: too short.
Solution: He said, Nevermind, can ady
=.=""

His work
Essentially correct but so grrrr....crooked!
I was telling myself, "Control...do not correct his work. Breathe"
Must. Control. Self.



He came up with helicopter skeleton.
Excellent fine motor work.
Again, if he was in kindy,
I doubt this kind of non-conforming behavior is encouraged.

 Matched with musical bells.
Ring according to number of skeletons


Going to sneak in some addition work tonight.
Again, me no expert. Just a mom, doing her best.
Following my nerdy boy's lead.
We will probably use Singapore Math soon.
Will keep you guys posted on that.

I read somewhere that our educational system is from the Industrial Ages.
Where silence, obedience, robot-like factory workers are created.
Despite new findings, it will take many many years before changes are made.
It's okay, we can beat the system...one kid at a time.
Gawd, I hope I am still so spirited when Tiger's 10 years old.



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you think of montessori maths Jessica? Would you be using the methods and materials with tiger?
- Christina

Jade said...

Hope you will share with me, where you get the Singapore Maths material. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hi so is it still worthwhile getting Little Maths for my soon to be 3 yo?

Jessica_littletiger said...

HI Christina,

We love our Montessori materials. I think it is the basis for many educational guidelines today. Such as Singapore Math's concrete to abstract teaching, Right now we are still using the number chips with other manipulatives such as beads, pipe cleaners and blocks. We are also using our teen boards. I don't follow the Montessori Method strictly. As with technology, I believe all things should evolve with time. So I guess we are a typical rojak style family.

Jessica_littletiger said...

Jade,

I got the first textbook My Pals Are Here but it is meant for Primary One. From MPH. I use it as a guide to see the skills I need to teach him by then. Right now, I am using Evan-Moor Grade K books because it explains to ME what the heck I am doing with the patterning and graphings instead of like local books with all black and white numbers only *yawn*

Jessica_littletiger said...

Little Math is about subitizing, meaning seeing quantities and the ability to immediately know the amount. I didn't complete the program with Tiger because he was like..... meh

Maths that is concrete and touchable is so much more fun to him because he can 'play' with numbers. It is organic to him.

My 2 cents:
Dots method created by Doman is meant for brain damaged children, in other words children who cannot form very critical opinions. So, these children can only learn pre-programmed things like subitizing numbers whereas algebra and such is out. Very young children can recognize quantity up till 3. So, this program creates a sense of awareness of numbers, nothing more. So, at three, I really doubt your child is interested.

Yen said...

Thanks Jessica. Looks like I won't be spending on little maths then. What about little reader and little musician? Just wanna know yr opinion after using them with tiger.

Jessica_littletiger said...

Tiger still enjoys Little Reader despite knowing the words. He likes to act out the action words and they both laugh like mad after that. I should video them for you guys.
I did not purchase Little Musician because Tiger is already attending YAMAHA. Trying to do things screen-free as much as possible.

agna said...

Jessica,
I love your blog! I have two kids just like you, same age! I find I'm totally neglecting my little girl though. She's 16 month now. I feel so guilty. and funny enough, even though she's my second child, I feel lost as to what to do at this age. Can help with suggestions?
At the moment, she shows no interest in anything i present to her (toys, dolls, manipulatives). She just wants to walk, walk, walk... so cannot sit down.
Oh yea, do you do right brain training with Little Dragon? Can you share what and how you do it?

Jessica_littletiger said...

Hi Agna,

Thanks for reading :)

My girl is exactly the same. She fleets form one activity to the next. Sometimes I think she is a hummingbird in her previous life...

Some kids are naturally more active, so embrace that part of their nature. They are constantly learning, so you don't have to make it very academic. Like Dragon girl's case, she loves sensory bins, so I incorporate numbers, shapes, vocab and such into her bins.

With Lil Dragon, I am not doing any right brain work. Unlike Tiger, she will not thrive with that method. Currently she is more play directed and forcing her to sit and focus will totally frustrate her.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...