Monday 28 May 2012

Right Brain: Ditoso Trial

I love the weekends! Simply because I get to spend them with my dear boy.

Funny how a simple bubble machine can bring so much joy.
So, thank you my dear sister, Ashleeprettimummy for buying this for us.





The highlight of our weekend was attending the trial class for right brain learning at Ditoso in Kota Kemuning.

I was curious to see Tiger's response to the class. The right brain method class is very different from our home practise sessions as well as Tweedlewink. At home, he gets to dictate his lessons and choose activities of his liking. Usually he would reject flashcards and right brain materials. In his Tweedlewink classes, well, since the material is cyclical, he was becoming a little restless and bored.

We met fellow blogger, Baby Darren who brought her daughter Isabel for the same trial class. Isabel is only three months older than Tiger.

Tiger who is usually slow to warm up and sensitive to new environment liked the place a lot.

There were six children in the trial class. Three girls and three boys. I am not sure about their exact age but they should be within 24-35 months. Tiger's nearly 24 months :)

We started with meditation and relaxation where they dimmed the lights while the teacher told a story of going to the park. A few children started crying, so I hugged Tiger and spoke to him softly. He was actually more relaxed after that and asked to sit on the chair by himself ^.^

The next half an hour was spent rather quickly with memory games. Tiger kept asking for more games. What's wrong with MY games at home? @.@

The flashcard segment was really fast, about three cards a second. Since I was the one who flashed to Tiger usually, this was the first time I was at the receiving end. Surprisingly, you can actually see each card clearly and Tiger was totally captivated and stayed focus the entire time. He was totally soaking it up!

I am not expecting Lil Tiger to develop super human memory or ESP powers with right brain training.
What I personally like about the method is the fact that it centers the childs attention & focus and I think we all understand how important those qualities are in life long learning. Maybe that's why children who attends Shichida classes fare better than their peers. It is their ability to pin point their concentration and maximise their absorption while others are running about and day dreaming during lessons.

I was explaining this to hubby (and MIL indirectly) en route to Midvalley after the trial class so that they can understand why I am paying so much for the lessons. Note the I AM PAYING.

Daddy  :   Wah. The lessons cost so much? Darn that HSBC message service. Hubs basically knows how much I spend each time I use the credit card >.<
Mommy: He really enjoyed the lessons. He was so focused.
Daddy  : New toilet, nice to shit (translated from Hokkien)
Grandma: WAHAHAHA!
Mommy: @.@

I have signed up for one term since Tiger really enjoyed the lesson. In June, we will be attending both Tweedlewink and Ditoso but we may withold Tweedlewink next term as two enrichment classes is gonna burn a hole in my pocket.


5 comments:

Jasmine said...

Girl, am going in for the Ditoso trial class tomorrow:) Heard from my cousin who friend's friend's son goes there... hmmm roundabout habis... well, send me word doc would you? sounded very good, but far la... kemuning, and i'm in OUG. hmmm... heard of KIDS ACADEMY in Puchong? Got feedback ah?

Jessica_littletiger said...

Hi babe,

So far we are enjoying the classes. Very much easier for home practise. The teacher's english leaves much to be desired but most of the right brain centers have the same problem. In our class, the teacher actually speak both Chinese and English for each instruction, which I am really grateful for.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jessica,

Is Tiger still attending classes in Ditoso? How is it going on?
Thanks

Regards,
Siew Wei

Jessica_littletiger said...

Hi Siew Wei,

We attended two semesters and stopped. Partly because Tiger was bored but mostly because I started to lean more towards open-ended learning such as sensory bins, messy play and manipulatives. As we grow wiser, we learn more to find methods that suit our children and right brain learning no longer fulfills that. We still do some photographic memory, linking memory and flash memory work but other than that, I prefer more hands on in learning.

Anonymous said...

Agree with you Jessica. Both my kids (2yr & 3 yr) stopped after 2 semesters.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...