Tuesday 1 May 2012

Tot School: No Theme Week @ 22.5 months

No theme means:

Pro:
He is likely to be bored with the trays because Mommy didn't put much thought into them :p
I have to admit that the tot trays were pretty pathetic..ha ha.
So, he wandered off to choose his own activities and I got to see his latest obsessions.

Cons:
I know a lot of parents are advocates of free play but I prefer to have a little structure.
I find that he learns a little more with a theme.
For example, during Space week, he learned the names of the planets.
According to Tiger, they are: Meh-ry, V, Eaff, Much, Ter, A-turn, ____, Neptune.
He is still crazy about the planets :)


Category box.
Out of all the chips I laid out, he was only into shapes, numbers and animals.
Too simple? I am not sure..

Treading
Tiger is finally working independently on this!
He created a block-snake in the end :)

Similar set from Bumbletoys. (RM 25)

Geography
He ONLY wanted to put puffy flag stickers on the map and
wasn't too interested in the flags puzzle.
The globe is still a fav.
World map with flags RM 38

Numbers obsession:
My little number geek.


Stacking
"I am tall enough!"
M&D STACKER FROM MOTHERCARE RM 49

Puzzles:
Brainstorm Puzzle.
These chunky pieces are a little easier to manipulate compared to the tangram type.
Meant for 3 years and above but the simple ones like this fish diagram were pretty easy.
Excellent for fine motor as he had to place the pieces accurately.
He named the pieces according to the alphabets they seemed to represent :)
Brainstorm puzzle. Similiar from kids.net for rm59

More numbers work:
EVA puzzle from Giant

Art and alphabets
We dot painted some alphabets from Making Learning Fun.
He requested for alphabets ONLY

Outdoor
Played with bubbles
We also went to the park to feed the tortoise and took a loooong walk.


Books
Flanimals pop-up book by Ricky Gervais
Pretty scary



Noah's Ark play set by Rod Campbell
From Bookxcess for less than RM 20
Noah's Ark Play Set


Learning about animals more than the story
Noah's Ark from Bookxcess


Others:

Kinderbeat

We attended our first lesson last Saturday and surprisingly, he did not cry!
Major relief for me because he initially asked to "Go, Go"
 Translated: Let's go, I don't want to be here.
I had to coax him gently.
Fortunately, he participated in all the activities and was able to follow along.
He even gave his teacher and classmates hugs.
At home, he requested for Kinder Bear songs repeatedly :)


Tweedlewink

He didn't munch in class this week as I gave him the ultimatum.
 No eating or get out!
No larrrrr, he spilled the cookies, so there wasn't any left.
Which was great despite the wasted food.

He is enjoying vocabulary part, especially phonics :)
and actually stayed focused during Science and Art this week.
Woohoo!


Brillkids

He is more into Little Reader than Little Math at the moment.
He would parrot along with Little Chinese as well.
I still have to bargain by offering Youtube videos in between lessons 
=.="


Flashcards
Speed play is ON!
He is enjoying the large, colourful animal ones.
but still rejecting the Doman ones


Hit songs
Snuggle Puppy
Planet Songs
Solar System
Five Little Monkeys


We are in the midst of Umbrella/Weather Week at the moment.
I didn't get the chance to take pictures of the trays because he went on a rampage of activities :)


Linking up to Tot School at 1+1+1 = 1

8 comments:

chantelle said...

Hi Jessica, May I know where can I get the dot paint? Both think toys shops in bangsar and curve had closed down. Btw, your family photo shoot is beautiful! I am amazed of what you have done for little tiger and hope that I am able to do as good for my baby too! Thank you for all the sharing.

Jessica_littletiger said...

Hi Chantelle,

Yeah, Think Toys shops are no longer operating. So sad :(
I am still looking around for alternatives. I will pm you once I find them!

Thanks for compliment! I hope your little one enjoys schooling too :)

Kaysha said...

That category box is so cool. Do you happen to know the brand? I have never seen anything like it.

Thanks
Kaysha

Jessica_littletiger said...

Hi Kaysha,

I am not sure about the brand but here's the link to the store I bought it from: https://www.facebook.com/messages/mcchew#!/media/set/?set=a.119025068204859.22872.100002920980604&type=3

Grace said...

Hi Jessica,

It's me again. I am a big follower of your blog. You have inspired me to do the same for my children.

May i ask if you are still sending your son to Kinderbeat? Can I have your comments on this music class? I am thinking to send my 3yo.

And about BrillKids, would you know how young we can start (for baby)? Would you be posting any writeup on your Lil dragon development? My baby is about same age, and would be great to share knowledge.

Thanks a lot.

Jessica_littletiger said...

Thanks Grace. When I first started writing this blog, it was more for documentating my baby boy's progress. I am really happy that I can inspire people to do the same and share knowledge with like minded mommies :)

Tiger is no longer attending kinderbeat because:
1. lessons can be replicated at home, with the CD, bear and book
2. The lessons were not progressing as quickly as I would like. Repetitions of the same songs.
3. The classroom was very small and hence a little claustrophobic for me.

Have you considered YAMAHA music for your three year old? I was planning to send Tiger at three.

Brillkids are recommended for >3 months old but parents in the forum have started from 3 months till 5/6 years old. There is really no limit. Personally, I find it a bit psychotic to make a 3 month old stare at the screen ut that is just me. I usually update Lil Dragon's developement under the PAGE tab. Baby girls are just too cute!

甯妈妈 said...

Hi,jessica. I really love all of ur material~
may i know where u bought and the price(if u still remember) :
1)treading
2)geography
3)number
4)stack
5)puzzle
6)Learning about animals more than the story(the standing animal)

the category box is really cool,but...too exp. :(

thanks~

Jessica_littletiger said...

Hi Zoe, I updated the blog post by including the price and where I got them from :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...