Monday 26 August 2013

Baby School: Shapes Week @ 13 months

Lil Dragon's getting used to our school routine.

Her top 2 activities are:
 Brillkids lessons & the learning trays.
Sometimes, she will opt for drawing.
That means making a mess :)

She loves this little chest of drawers.
I hid a silicone shape in each drawer for her to discover.

A labelled sheet for matching.
I did the matching & naming for her, just to introduce her to shapes
and creating print awareness while playing.
Sometimes, Tiger does the tutoring for me.
 

 
Spooning...

...which ended up with pom-poms everywhere.

Transferring ping-pong balls into cups

I love this face <3

Combining trays and learning that balls cannot go into a small hole.



M&D Shapes puzzle

With Tiger, we stressed on more complicated ones such as
octagon, parallelogram, trapezoid, etc

She has gotten the concept of
Here's the mat and this is what we are doing now.
Instead of going Rar rar rar....all over the place.

The mat is essential to any learning.
The genius that is Montessori :)

On Brillkids,
We are doing a lesson a day.
When she spots a bird outdoor, she points and says /b/.
Unlike Tiger, she is being exposed to 3 languages since we have a Indonesian
kakak now.
So, I expect her speech to develop a little slower.

This week, we will focus on colours.

6 comments:

Kaysha said...

Aw, she is getting so big!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jessica,
I'm so glad I found your blog. It has given me so much inspiration and encouragement that I decide to "homeschool" my kiddo too. I'm a working mom and I realised that I could just do a one hour daily of homeschool,like you, instead of the full day that I read on other sahms' blogs!

I'm looking at right brain learning for my kiddo who is 15 month old. I'm interested in Shichida and/or BrillKid. Which would you advice for a busy working mom?

Jessica_littletiger said...

Kaysha, she is definitely doing just that. Her appetite is HUGE right now!

Jessica_littletiger said...

Hi dear,

I always ask these questions first.

1. What is your aim in early education? Smart kid? Independent learner? Early reader? Bonding time?
2. How much time you have to spare to prepare materials?
3. How much money you are willing to invest?
4. During the day, who is the caregiver? If you teach/Shichida but the child is with babysitter, watching Ipad/TV, then sorry, no point dy.
5. Home environment must be child friendly. Ie, books available freely. Baby proofing.

Do get back to me :) Then we can discuss further

Linda said...

Mhh.. Really prompting questions:
1. Aim. I believe in the right brain theory as the Singapore education system focus on memorizing and regurgitation. And want to coupled it with Montessori to develop independence in them. I also wish for my son to develop a love for reading, like me!
2. Time. Perhaps 2-3 hours a week for preparation of materials. If I use 1 hr to 'homeschool' at night then I might not have time for preparation in the weekday unless I use my lunchtime.
3. Quite willing for courses I believe will help develop the kid.
4. My MIL is the caregiver and we stay together. She don't let him watch TV during the day. Just let him play with toys. Not sure if she is willing to do the Shichida 'homework' with him though.
5. Yes. My home might not be a toy heaven but it's definitely child safe! Or at least I tried to make it be.

Really thank you for guiding me along! :)

Linda

Jessica_littletiger said...

Hi Linda,

Since you are based in Singapore, I would think that both reading and early right brain training is essential since the education system is more result driven.

A good command of English will make a huge difference and Brillkids can help in terms of saving time for preparing flashcards. I download presentations, mute and flash rapidly for them instead of using physical cards. Personally, i feel montessori and crafts takes up more time than right brain but once you get the hang of it, you can prepare trays and materials on the spot without much pre planning.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...