Friday 6 April 2012

Letter: Terrible Two & Stuff

Letter to Tiger Thursday Friday

Dear Tiger,

It has been a while since I wrote a letter. You can blame your sister for wrecking my hormones and making me lazy. So, this is going to be long one.

I still think you are growing up way too fast. I wish I can prolong each day so that I can devour all your cuteness before we fast forward to 15 years down the line and I can imagine you smoking and telling me "Get a life".

Lately you have actually acquired hair. Yes, hair!!! Thank God. Your hair is no longer spiky and sparse which means, now you look like Daddy even more. *grumble grumble*

The haircut last weekend seemed to come with a complimentary personality change. To suit the new style, perhaps? Even Daddy and Auntie Sharon commented that the new style makes you look 'naughty'. Unfortunately, I have to agree with them. Now, I have a son who is rambunctious and loud as well as demanding. The Terrible Two has officially arrived.

Don't worry, when you came into my world, you were given a lifetime pass to my heart. I will never love you any less even when you drive me up the wall. Or when you make me climb up and butt shuffle down the stairs twenty times (which, by the way, you really did make me do!). Or tell me I cannot use the bathroom (it's your sister, again, in this case. I have to pee every hour or so).

Oh, because you have so much sass now, you pretty much dictate school time. here's a sample of what went on during 'school day/night':

Date: 5th April 2011
Venue: Tiger's home


Time: 6 pm.
After work, I drove home as fast as possible because I missed you so much. When I reached, I could hear you shout, "Ma ma, ma ma ma" before I open the car door  ^.^  Do you miss me too?
I smothered you with kisses and hugs. You pushed me away. Not cool, huh?
Then I asked, "Painting"
You shook your head.

"Swimming?"
Nods and Cheshire cat grin.

You pretended that you wanted to drink when in fact you wanted to fill up the pool.
 

We crafted a bit with stars and mod-podge mix. No attire needed. It was freaking HOT!



Then, you enjoyed playing with the water hose. Who needs toys?


We bathe outdoors.
 
I am so sorry I made you slip on the wet floor. I was trying to get you out of the pool, so I said the magic words "Ipad?"
You literally jumped out and ran indoors. See, magic?
Unfortunately, you slipped sideways and fell. Then it was bawling-your-eyes-out in front of Grandma just to make me look bad.
No worries, Ipad to the rescue. You stopped the drama the moment I handed it over.

8pm: After Mommy showered, washed hair and had dinner
Tot School Time
I only managed to flash one set of cards. You said no to all the trays. Brat!!
Played with the sensory bin. Poured out all the beans!!
You made me read out loud each of the planet's name at least twenty times.

When I suggested reading, you made a sign which looked like a cross between 'milk' and 'little bit'.
"Milk?"
"Little bit?"
"Nai nai? (Grandma)"
"Star?"
You gave me look. (Translation: "What an idiot!)
Then you opened the door and asked to go down.
"Are you hungry?"
Gave me another look (Probably with an expletive if you could speak well)
We went down and you went straight for the puppets, making your high-pitched puppet voice.
LOL!! You wanted your reading pals...Silly me :p
You were signing puppets + dancing. Darn it!
Why couldn't you just say "E-E"?
We read a little.

 Then, you chose to do See & Spell.


Time: 8.30pm
Milk break


Time: 9pm
Play dough time
 




Time: 9.20pm
Tiger's teaching time, also the highlight of Mommy's day
YOU KNOW YOUR ALPHABETS!!
Your speech and language is developing rapidly and I am so proud of you!
You made mommy write the alphabets as you recite them. A few bumps along the way but it was excellent work, ba-beeeeee!!

Time: 10 plus
Little J came to play for a while.

Time: Almost 11pm
Daddy came home. You stole some rice from Daddy
Prepare for bedtime with Grandma. Changing into pyjamas is still a nightmare.
Daddy put your shorts onto Mr Teddy Bear :)
Made me smell you feet and wave bye bye, telling me to go.




Goodnight, my love



Your eternal slave....Mommy

8 comments:

curiositykills said...

hi jessica,

hows your view on teaching alphabets?
do u follow montessori, which is phonics first?

im contemplating if i should expose more alphabets to him. im starting to DIY sandpaper cursive project now :)
but a bit worried about phonics/sight words.

thanks

take care

Jessica_littletiger said...

I started by teaching him phonics only. He already knew most of these from Tweedlewink classes and from his homeschool weekly theme. Recently, I used the Jolly Phonics system just to solidify what he knows. Most systems start with the same common alphabets.
s,a, t,i, p, n .
c,k,e,h,r,m,d,
g,o,u,l,f,b.
We have not started blending yet.
He learned the alphabets via Youtube recently who is way more efficient than me, apparently =.="
Certain letters he can't pronounce yet like w and q.
There doesn't seem to be any confusion between letters and phonics. He reads the alphabets and if I ask what does b say? He will answer beh, beh, beh :)
Personally, I tot teaching phonics is more important because you pick up letters from songs and the environment.
Some children pick up whole words and break them down to phonics naturally. The smarty ones, apparently.
I am, or rather his puppets are working on his whole words at the moment. He can read simple ones like dog, cat, pig, bear...
I think children deserve more credit than we think. So, I tend to teach everything at one go :) The progress may be slower but I think Tiger enjoy the variety and he is learning. :)

curiositykills said...

i see, i see.
one HS mom friend warned me not to confuse ds.

anyway jessica,
what printer are u using now?
how often do u change the cartridge?

I'm thinking of investing in one.

thanks!

Jessica_littletiger said...

Well, I guess we actually did phonics first, then the alphabets. He used to read the letters in phonics until recently, he just decided to recite the alphabets. He can actually differentiate B and D because B is beh for ball and D is dheh for dog. He is in his vocabulary-sensitive phase now, so we are pushing him a little just to take advantage of it, kinda like when he was in his math phase earlier :)


I am using the same one in this post http://littletigergrowingup.blogspot.com/2011/08/free-download-of-right-brain-resources.html with the CISS system. The prob with this system is you have to print quite often to prevent bubbles in the tubing. Then, you have deep clean often which waste ink. I print for free cause hubby is doing retail business in computer and stuff :) Whenever I run out of ink, I just ask him to bring me some..

curiositykills said...

okay...wow :)
thank u so much!
thank u for being so obliging :D

pencil_color said...

Hi,
Where did you buy the See & Spell?

Jessica_littletiger said...

I got it from Toy R us :) for RM79.90. So pricey but Tiger loves it.

pencil_color said...

I was going crazy looking at all these toys, hahahaha! Macam nak beli semua! :))

http://pemborong-online2u.blogspot.com/2011/12/blog-post.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...