Monday 26 September 2011

When You Give The Tiger Some Pom-poms

The child can develop fully by means of experience in his environment. We call such experiences ‘work’.”
 Maria Montessori

~~~~~~
"Allowing children as much freedom to learn in the world as their parents can comfortably bear"
John Holt (Teach Your Own) on definition of unschooling
~~~~~


'Working' It: Tiger Style


I didn't give him the pom poms, I merely consented.
It's either play along or scream fest.


I had some mild palpitations & my OCD went into overdrive with so many pom poms strewn everywhere.
Including the teeny tiny ones.


 Tried to trick gently coax the fellow into doing some spooning work but he'd rather transfer with hands.


He made some pom-pom soup and even fed Mommy some (pretend play)
Delicious :)


Ahhh....yummy. Then, he signed, "All done"
 

That's unschooling a fiesty 15 month old with a Montessorian twist


~~@@@~~
As much as I love Tiger's initiative, the fear of him choking scares me to death.
He is afterall 15 months old
So, the pom-poms have been given a new home :)
An old plastic door hanger (no nails required)
&
3 vinyl pocket holders from Daiso
These are clear at the back, so I can see what's in each pocket.
Now I can keep his knick knacks safely.
Linking up to:
Montessori Monday

5 comments:

melissa said...

It looks like he really enjoyed himself! I love that he even made "soup" :) I know what you mean about the choking, though - my daughter adores pom poms, too. I keep thinking the everything in the mouth phase is over and we're safe, but then she decides to sneak one into her mouth again, and my fears are renewed.

danielle @ RLR said...

Hi Jessica...

Thanks for stopping by my place AND taking the time to read Trevy's story. I'm sucha big fat sap that it always makes me misty eyed when someone invests energy into us.

Btw...I can TOTALLY relate to the choking fear! Trevy mouths EVERYTHING! Hence my Montessori trays locked away in a closet! :)

...danielle

Deb Chitwood said...

I think you've found a nice balance of freedom/independence and safety. It's great that Tiger had those experiences with the pom poms - and it's great that you're just having him use the pom poms when you can closely watch him. Toddlers are so much fun (and tend to love small objects), but choking is definitely a concern. It takes a fine balancing act! Thanks for linking up with Montessori Monday. I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow

Jen said...

Love it! I linked up from Living Montessori Now. Have you tried transferring with tongs? The old-school simple strawberry hullers are perfect for young toddlers. Also, mine's 19 months now but at 15 months we were doing toothpicks in a sugar/parmesan cheese shaker and pennies in a bank (VERY closely supervised on that one!).

Jessica_littletiger said...

Hi Deb, thanks for featuring my post, love linking up to Montessori Monday.

Hi Jen, I have tried tongs but he wasn't ready yet. Perhaps later. Thanks for your suggestions, the toothpicks one scares me a little cause he'll probably poke ME :p

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...