Thursday 13 October 2011

Our Preschool Montessori Curriculum

I LOVE certain parts of Montessori, especially the sensorial, math, and practical life.

I use this curriculum as a basis for our Tot Trays activity. I will only introduce the activity if he shows interest in a tray. For a sample of our trays setup, just type 'tot trays' in the search box.

Tiger was only nine months old when we started some simple fine motor activity like one-to-one correspondence. Nothing fancy, just materials you can source from your kitchen.

I am not Montessori trained and this is a compilation from sources listed at the end of the post that I personally would like to teach my child.


 

Practical life


Transferring ping pongs onto palette

Palmar grasp
Transferring larger stuff (like pom poms)
Transferring smaller stuff (like beans)
Pouring (Dry then wet)
Lids and container (open & close basket)
Sponging
Hammering






Pincer grasp 
Scooping eggs from left to right
Spooning 
Scooping:
Clothespin
Tongs/tweezers
Stringing



Circular hand movement
Nuts & bolts
Mat rolling
Wringing wash cloth
Using a whisk
Twisting jars
Peeling stickers
Scissors

  



Personal care
Grooming
Washing hand
Washing face
Grace and Courtesy
Blowing nose
Using napkin
Set table
Dressing frames

Care of environment
Sweeping
Moping
Wiping spills
Washing dish
Polishing

Art

Crayoning
Cutting
Gluing
Painting
Drawing
Tracing
Shading
Color theory

   



Sensorial

Knobbed cylinders (pegged puzzles)
Pink tower (Melissa & Doug Nesting and Stacking Blocks)
Brown stairs
Red rods
Knobless cylinders
Sound cylinders (DIY)
Smelling jars (DIY)
Geometric solids
Sequencing
Patterning

   


Language
Similiar
Opposites
Syllable counting

Sandpaper letters
Sight words
Word blends
Rhyming
Pink CVC
Phonograms
ABC order
Spelling


 


Geography
Continent Map

Malaysia/Countries
Where I live (local)
Friendship
Religion
Manners




Gross motor (not so Montessori but important)

Balance beam/walk the line
Toss the bean bag
Swimming
Mini obstacle course
Catch bubbles
Running around skittles
Jumping
Walk backwards
Catch streamers
Nature walk
Brachiating
Skipping

  
  

Science

Physical Science
States of matter
Water 
Ligth
Air 
Sound
Magnetism 
Friction
Heat
Weight
Electricity
Weather
Rocks

Zoology
Living/non-living

Fish
Amphibians
Reptiles
Birds
Mammals
Human Body
Solar system
Plants
Dinosaurs

Habitat
Botany
Trees/Shrubs/Flowers/Leaves/Seeds
Gardening

Mathematics
Red & Blue Rods
Sandpaper numerals
Spindle box
Cards and counters
Bead stair
Teen Bead Stair
Golden Bead Intro
Decimal cards
Hundred Board
Addition
Subtraction
Numeral formation



9 comments:

the2Balqis said...

Hi Jessica!

Chanced upon your blog from Parenthots. Im trying to pre-homeschool my daughters too! Note trying, heh. Its truly great that altho you are working, it defintely doesn't pull you back from your passion - MOntessori and self-educating your precious.

Anyway such a coincidence that I am currently doing an ocean theme!

All the best!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jessica,

I saw your list under "Mathematics"... may i know whats the use of the red & blue rods? What is it? and where did you get the bead stairs?

Thanks, Angel

Jessica_littletiger said...

Hi Angel,

Can I refer you to this site? I get most of my info on Montessori from here. Very nicely written with clear instructions:

http://www.infomontessori.com/mathematics/numbers-through-ten-number-rods.htm

Jessica_littletiger said...

Sorry, but which beads stairs are you refering to?

Anonymous said...

Hi Jessica,

The bead stair listed under "Mathematics".. i saw your recommended site... here it is..
http://www.infomontessori.com/mathematics/skip-and-counting-teens-quantity.htm

may i know if you have got this ? What about the red & blue rods, where to buy? Thks, Angel

Jessica_littletiger said...

The beads stairs are used to introduced counting and additions.
You can DIY: http://livingmontessorinow.com/2011/08/08/montessori-monday-diy-bead-bars/
Here's the intro to addition:
http://www.montessorimom.com/short-bead-stair/

I was planning to DIY later but we shall see if I am still so hardworking by the time Tiger's three :p
I have not gotten the rods because Tiger already understood the concept of 0-10...I will probably skip some basic steps and I am trying to introduce teens to him now. The blue and red rods are available in the montessori store or you can DIY as well.
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/content/early-math-concepts-home-using-montessori-method

Anonymous said...

Jessica, Thank you so much for posting this curriculum. I am currently in the process of gathering my ideas for things to do with my now 16 month old son, and this has been a godsend to me. I felt so overwhelmed and this has definitely helped me focus in on what I want the next few months to look like.

Anonymous said...

Jessica the curriculum is really helpful. Thanks! I startes teaching my toddler the letters. I had a few questions related to that.
Firstly should I start only with the lower case letters first and then move on to the Uppercase letters, or should I start both simultaneously? Also should I teach her to recognize it with the letters name or with the letters sound?

Jessica_littletiger said...

Hi, no problem.

I just compiled the list from multiple sources.

it is recommended to start with lowercase, then uppercase. Some people believe that teaching with letter sounds first. I think it depends on the child. In Tiger's case, we did everything. I introduced both upper and lower case to him. He learned the alphabets first then phonics. Then, with Leapfrog products like the Fridge Phonics and Youtube videos, he put them together by himself. As long as they like it, it will be easy to learn.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...