Monday 17 October 2011

Tot School: Learning With A Super Tot!!

‘Un’schooling Tiger Week 12 (17th Oct 2011) @ 16 months

Theme: Jellyfish/Ocean (Yup, we are stuck with this this theme!)


This week has been rough for Little Tiger. He was down with high-grade fever over the weekend and a bad chesty cough.
Except for snooty noses, you won't be able to tell that he was ill from these pictures. What a trooper!!
So, this week he is Super Tot. School really is play in disguise.

These are some of the work we did before he was ill:

He helped with the seashells and starfish craft for our Ocean Wall
I printed out the templates from Google image
He applied the glue and slapped on the Origami paper (from Daiso)
Then, I just cut the shape
Easy peasy and very cute

These are the Origami paper from Daiso

Little Tiger decided he needed a break and faked a nap :) He was still holding the glue

I cut a jellyfish from the Origami paper and added on some eyes.
Then I applied some glue at the base for Tiger to attach the glittery purple strands

This is the Ocean Wall we created.

We did some work sheets from 2 Teaching mommies
He was using the Twistable Crayola Crayons here
I thought they were unbreakable, unfortunately, they are.



His Letter J flashcards, sandpaper letter and stuff.

Working on those fine motor muscles.
He stacked every single piece onto a cheap kitchen towel holder.
I reused the M&D shapes/number stacker pieces.


He stacked some small gradated blocks...
A mini pink tower if I may ^.^
...and nested them. This was one of his favourite activity. Why is the picture stained yellow?

We did more puzzles, this time a fish, in keeping with our theme

We also tried this 32 pieces ocean puzzle which was definitely too tough for him
So, I glued most of the pieces onto a cardboard and left him with 6 pieces to work with.
He enjoyed removing the glued pieces more.

This is an old can with a mommy made hole for him to drop the counting bears into.
Then he would open the can and place them back into the cute duck ice tray
He also gave me a heart attack when he tried to eat one.
He was never really a mouther.
Nevertheless, a short-lived tray, this one..

Playing with the EVA foam Letter J
He also played with the magnetic letters while attempting to make the phonic sounds

Enjoying his whole word flashcards.
He was "reading" them.

Impromptu lesson.
He spilled the paracetamol and while I was moping it up with some tissue,
he decided on this tearing activity

Painting a jellyfish with his new Crayola Paint brush.
I love the colours!!
I painted the jellyfish and Tiger ummm, added the finer touches
I really enjoy painting with him.
He gets to observe how I grip the brush and we learn the colours together :)

Then, I gave him a foam Letter J sticker to play with.
Great for tracing

Placing stickers on some red dots Math flashcard I printed wrongly
I tend to hoard a bit now, just a little.
Excellent for fine motor exercise

He  L.O.V. E.S  the dot painting activity.
Literally begs to 'chop chop'
 

Engrossed in his work

Playing school is fun even when you are sick :)



Check out the others at 1+1+1

And Montessori Monday

6 comments:

Deb Chitwood said...

Wow! Little Tiger definitely was a Super Tot! I hope he's starting to feel much better. He definitely had a very busy learning week anyway!

I'm always amazed at your ocean wall. And the jellyfish is adorable ... great idea to add a fine-motor coordination/gluing activity with it. I love the way you use gluing and stickers to add a creative and fun activity that helps with eye-hand coordination! Thanks so much for linking up with Montessori Monday. I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow

Anonymous said...

Nice activities! Love the ocean wall you two created. Thank you for sharing.
Discovering Montessori
www.theworkplan.blogspot.com

melissa said...

I'm glad to know he's finally feeling better, but it's fun to see what Tiger was busy with despite being ill last week. Love the paper towel holder as a dowel for stacking - very resourceful! :)

Jessica said...

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for stopping by. Just wanted to share some of his happiness with the rest of the world :)

Just for the record, Little Tiger is all up and running as usual by the time I posted. Phew!

Just in case anyone else thinks I am crazy/torturing the kiddo, I will state for the last time that he really LOVES (un)schooling. The schooling time occured in short sessions, whenever he asks for it.(He is a fiesty kid and relentlessly active. He even played with his trains and slide!)

'Schooling' was the only time him smiled during this period. If it made him happy and healed faster, it can't be wrong. We do Montessori inspired activities, I am not a Montessorian but I believe that the child knows best and as parents, we support and provide love.

I would be an idiot to force my child to study if he was too ill :)

Ashleyprettymummy said...

I tried to teach my Ashley to stack her toys and she insist on eating them.....Hope she can stack toys like Tiger too....

Jessica said...

Ashley is 9 months Tiger's junior ok? She is not suppose to be able to stack yet. Don't bully the cutie pie. It's super amazing that she can crawl given the fact that she is ob*se..hehe..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...